I figured I’d share some music that I’ve enjoyed this year. I think this year has been great for hip hop. I’d go as far as declaring this as the best year of hip hop album releases in the 2010s and we’re only halfway through the year. That’s how great the music has been.
The criteria for this list is that I can only choose one song from each artist. I initially only wanted to list 10 songs, then I extended it to 15 songs, and decided WHY NOT 25! I just didn’t feel like excluding some songs when I reviewed them. Also note: some songs on this list came from albums released at the tail end of 2014, but the single was released this year.
Also, I created a zip file of about 81 hip hop songs I enjoyed with only two songs max from one artist. Even that was tough. For example, out of One Man Can Change the World, IDFWU, and Blessed….which two would you choose? If you want the link (it’s uploaded on Google Drive), I’d be glad to share it.
Now for the list, in no particular order:
1) OverDoz. – Last Kiss (Produced by Pharrell)
Pharrell provides a summery, BBQ-type beat for a group who have been consistent with their singles.
2) Kendrick Lamar – King Kunta
It’s really hard to choose only one song from this album. That bass line…
3) Just Blaze – Miracle
Only an instrumental but I love it!
4) Vince Staples – Senorita (feat. Future)
Future in a limited role is actually quite tolerable. I love the music video.
5) Action Bronson – Baby Blue (feat. Chance The Rapper)
Chance has some of my favorite verses of the year, including his featured verse on this one.
6) Big Sean – One Man Can Change The World (Statik Selektah Remix) (feat. Kanye West & John Legend)
7) Joey Bad@$$ – Like Me
8) Asap – M’$ (feat. Lil Wayne)
9) Tyler The Creator – Smuckers (feat. Kanye West & Lil’ Wayne)
10) Oddisee – That’s Love
11) Bambu – Shabs
12) Mick Jenkins – P’s & Q’s
13) Jay Rock – Money Trees Deuce
14) De La Soul – God It (feat. Nas)
15) Rae Sremmurd – Yno (feat. Big Sean)
16) Nikki Minaj – Feeling Myself (feat. Beyonce)
My sister has played this song an innumerable amount of times at home.
17) STS x RJD2 – Hold on, Here It Go
18) Fashawn – Something to Believe In (feat. Nas & Aloe Blacc)
19) Lupe Fiasco – Adoration Of The Magi (feat. Crystal Torres)
Music video obviously NSFW.
20) Audio Push – Heavy (feat. OG Maco)
OG MACO SNAPPED!
21) Towkio – Heaven Only Knows (Feat. Chance The Rapper, Lido & Eryn Allen Kane)
22) D-Pryde – Rest Of My Life
I was a fan of his music back in the day and I’m not big on his releases nowadays, but this right here is a keeper.
23) Earl Sweatshirt – Quest/Power
24) Charles Hamilton – New York Raining (feat. Rita Ora)
I’m glad to see Charles Hamilton back.
25) Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment – Sunday Candy
Love, love, love!
There are some expected choices that didn’t make the list (Fetty Wap, Silento, Wale, Wiz, Kanye). Should I have included them? Tell me what your favorite hip hop songs are so far this year.